THE IMPORTANT THINGS
Look beyond the brickbats, the critics, and know within you that you always have a choice between barter and creation. Life as a creator will always be a tightrope. So…
1) Do not try to feed your stomach with creativity, it is food for your soul, not your stomach.
2) Do not be afraid to defy conventions.
3) Do not be afraid to destroy systems that kill art and your souls.
4) Do not be afraid to be hungry.
5) Do not be afraid to walk alone if necessary. Because on a tightrope we all walk alone. Remember, if you are a creator, you are a funambulist, and not very many people know that word, let alone be it.
Just as my life has centered around creativity, like every fellow human being’s, it has also centered around the wish to find happiness. Your age is the age when we most confuse happiness with gratification, so I will say quite plainly: if you are smart, if you want to survive life’s relentless onslaught of challenges, you will sooner or later understand that the things that made you happy ten years ago will end up being the ones that make you happy when you hit the geriatric superhero stage. Kids, start collecting your action figures now!
I have everything I could have aspired for at your age. I have success, I have fame, I have wealth and I have three Playstations – one for the house, one for shootings and one just because I can have it. But none of these have any consequence to my happiness; the only thing that does is the love of my children. You don’t have children (I hope), but you have parents, you have people you love and nothing in this world of everythings means more than that.