Click to read the entire winners’ list of NYIFF 2012
The 12th New York Indian Film Festival announced its winners for 2012 at New York University’s Skirball Center for the Arts. The festival was held from May 23-27 at Tribeca Cinemas, Lower Manhattan. Director Rajan Khosa’s much-talked about film Gattu won the top honour of Best Film. Mohammad Samad, the child artiste in Gattu, won Best Young Actor, while Best Director went to Sujay Dahake for Marathi film Shala (School).
Academy Award-winning film Saving Face, co-directed by Daniel Junge and Pakistani director Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy, took home the Best Documentary Film honour. Nawazuddin Siddiqui won Best Actor for Dekh Indian Circus and his co-star Tannishtha Chatterjee won Best Actress. Find the full winners’ list below.
12th New York Indian Film Festival winners list:
– Best Film: Gattu (directed by Rajan Khosa)
– Best Documentary Film: Saving Face (directed by Daniel Junge and Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy)
– Best Director: Sujay Dahake for Shala
– Best Actor: Nawazuddin Siddiqui, Dekh Indian Circus (directed by Mangesh Hadawale)
– Best Actress: Tannishtha Chatterjee, Dekh Indian Circus
– Best Young Actor: Mohammad Samad for Gattu
– Best Screenplay: Avinash Deshpande for Shala
– Best Short Film: Bombay Snow (directed by Chinmay Dalvi)
– Audience Award: Let’s Be Out, The Sun Is Shining (directed by Bornilla Chatterjee)
– One-Minute Cell Phone Film Award: Love Lost (directed by Caroline Cantone)
– Special Contribution to Indian Cinema: Filmmaker Rituparno Ghosh
– Lifetime Achievement Award: Filmmaker Shyam Benegal.
Anurag Kashyap and his team landed in NY late from Cannes for the screening of their film, Gangs of Wasseypur, which was being screened for the closing night. Hence, only the first part of the film could be showcased.
ALSO SEE: Cannes 2012 coverage