Highlights of the much awaited extravaganza of the year
The 13th International Indian Film Academy (IIFA) Weekend will be held from June 7-9, 2012 in Singapore. The annual gala this year will have events like the IIFA Awards, IIFA World Premiere, IIFA Rocks and the IIFA Film & Music Workshop. Managed by Wizcraft International Entertainment, the mega event is held in a different country each year and is one of the most awaited industry events. Here’s a look at what’s in store at IIFA Celebrations 2012 at Singapore.
Films to be showcased at IIFA this year:
• Shanghai (world premiere), directed by Dibakar Banerjee and starring Abhay Deol, Emraan Hashmi and Kalki Koechlin.
• Vishwaroopam (first look) toplining Kamal Haasan and a special appearance by director Shekhar Kapur.
• Bollywood: The Greatest Love Story Ever Told, a documentary by Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra.
• Maximum (world premiere), directed by Kabeer Kaushik and starring Naseeruddin Shah, Sonu Sood, Neha Dhupia and Hazel Keech.
• Ferrari Ki Sawaari (world premiere), directed by Rajesh Mapuskar and produced by Vidhu Vinod Chopra.
• Teri Meri Kahaani (promotions), helmed by Kunal Kohli and starring Priyanka Chopra and Shahid Kapoor.
• English Vinglish (promotions), Gauri Shinde’s film starring Sridevi.
Highlight of IIFA Weekend:
• The IIFA Awards 2012 ceremony will be held on June 9.
• Shahid Kapoor will host the awards for the first time, along with Farhan Akhtar. The two replace the funny pair of Boman Irani and Riteish Deshmukh.
• The IIFA Rocks will be held on June 8, hosted by Ayushmann Khurrana and Chitrangda Singh. Fashion designers like Suneet Verma and Masaba will showcase collections. Celebs like Nargis Fakhri and Bipasha Basu will be showstoppers.
• The technical awards, which have already been announced, will be given away at the IIFA Rocks. Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara has won top honours at the IIFA Technical Awards, along with Shahrukh Khan’s RA.One.
• Salman Khan returns to IIFA Awards after two years.
• Shahrukh Khan is likely to give the awards a miss, as he will be shooting in London for his YRF flick with Katrina Kaif.
• Rowdy Rathore director Prabhu Deva, who is an acclaimed actor-dancer, will choreograph both IIFA Rocks and the Awards. Expect a spectacular show, as Prabhu is known to mesmerise with his choreography.
• Performers include Shahid Kapoor, Ranbir Kapoor, Priyanka Chopra, Sonakshi Sinha and Bipasha Basu.
• IIFA Music Workshop will be held by composers Vishal-Shekhar and Shantanu Moitra, film directors Zoya Akhtar and Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra, and lyricists Javed Akhtar and Prasoon Joshi. Bollywood singers like Mohit Chauhan, Ash King and Harshdeep Kaur will perform at the workshop.
• The IIFA will celebrate the centenary year of Indian cinema with a special show.
• Ranbir Kapoor will dance to the songs of his father Rishi Kapoor’s films, while Rishi will dance to Ranbir’s numbers!
• Ekta Kapoor, whose The Dirty Picture has several nominations, is missing this year’s awards.
• South Indian celebs to be present at the awards include Oscar-winning composer AR Rahman, actors Radikaa Sarathkumar, Shriya Saran, Suresh Babu and Allu Arvind, and Telugu film producer KS Rama Rao, among others.
• Actor Rekha will be honoured with the Outstanding Achievement in Indian Cinema award.
• Filmmaker Ramesh Sippy will be awarded the Outstanding Contribution to Indian Cinema honour.
• Veteran actor-dancer Zohra Segal, who recently celebrated her 100th birthday, will receive the Contribution to 100 years of Indian Cinema award.
• It’s a tough fight as Zoya Akhtar’s Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara has received 14 nominations, while Ekta Kapoor’s The Dirty Picture has 13!
• Salman Khan, Shahrukh Khan, Hrithik Roshan, Ranbir Kapoor, Amitabh Bachchan and Ajay Devgn will compete for best actor.
• Priyanka Chopra, Kareena Kapoor, Mahie Gill and Kangna Ranaut will compete for best actress.
Read the full nominations list here.