Here are 5 things you need to know about Russian choreographer Maksim Chmerkovskiy
– Born on January 17, 1980 in Ukraine, Maksim began dancing at the age of four. His brother Valentin too is a champion dancer.
– For season 18 of the American Dancing With the Stars, he was paired with Olympic ice dancer Meryl Davis. They were declared the winners on May 20, 2014, marking Chmerkovskiy’s first win. They also have the current highest average of any dancer of the show with a 28.4 average, and have a tie with Jennifer Grey and Derek Hough with the most amount of perfect 30’s earning a total of 6
– In 2011 he starred as “The Bachelor” in the Ukrainian version of the dating reality show. He’s a celebrity in Ukraine and has many fan clubs that hold special events around him.
– Maksim is rumored to be dating American model and actress Kate Upton. The two were recently spotted on a coffee date and the paparazzi clicked them both leaving the cafe holding hand.
– Chmerkovskiy owns four dance studios in New York City, including Rising Stars Dance Academy (RSDA).. He recently opened another studio in Stamford, Connecticut. There was buzz that he was also planning to produce his own dance based moving on lines of Step Up, however, there has been no confirmation of the same from him.