Preity Zinta molestation case: Cops yet to record statements!

The plot thickens in the Preity Zinta- Ness Wadia controversy

The investigation into actor and co-owner of IPL team Kings XI Punjab Preity Zinta’s allegations is taking place at a snail’s pace. So far, the Marine Drive police have not recorded statement of a single person. Zinta had lodged a complaint against industrialist Ness Wadia alleging that he publicly humiliated and abused her on May 30 at Garware Pavilion.

Five days after the complaint was lodged, the police are yet to get any concrete evidence in the case. The police said they have called IPL CEO Sundar Raman for recording his statement. He is currently in Chennai and has said he’ll approach them as soon as he returns.

Officers also said they are yet to record a detailed statement of the actor. After she approached the police on Friday, she went out of the country. Zinta‘s lawyer has informed the police that she is likely to return to Mumbai this week and would come to the police station as soon as possible.

The police have so far scrutinised two out of the five CCTV cameras installed at Wankhede Stadium. They have also requested Sony channel, that had the broadcasting rights of IPL, for recordings from the 19 cameras they had set up in and around the area where the alleged incident occurred. “So far, we have not got any evidence that corroborates Zinta’s allegations. However, we will record statements of people, including cricketers, IPL and BCCI authorities, and staff, who were present at the spot, to get a clear picture of what happened,” a senior police officer added.

Mumbai police commissioner Rakesh Maria said, “The Marine Drive police are investigating the case. We had written to BCCI to provide CCTV footage, which was received, and we are going through it. Through BCCI, we have requested Sony channel to provide footage from their cameras and that too will be studied.”

“We have informed Preity Zinta through her lawyers that the Mumbai Police wants to record her supplementary statement as, in the earlier statement, she has not named the witnesses. The police have been informed that she will be returning this week and will cooperate with the investigation,” he added.

So far, a 20-second footage from one of the CCTVs shows Wadia and Zinta in conversation but it could not be ascertained whether they were arguing.

Sources said the argument between the two apparently started over the issue of seats as the Corporate Box was full and there were not enough seats for Wadia’s family. The police said they will be checking the seating arrangements.