That’s what the Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate VS Patil said in his order while giving the verdict on the 11-year-old case
Salman Khan knew the possible consequences of his rash and negligent driving. He knew that he could cause death but did not intend to kill anyone – these are the words of the additional chief metropolitan magistrate VS Patil who said that the 47-year-old superstar should be tried for culpable homicide not amounting to murder.
On the night of September 28, 2002, Salman’s Toyota Land Cruiser, allegedly driven by him, rammed into a bakery in suburban Bandra, killing one pavement dweller and injuring four others. The trial in the case started before the Bandra magistrate court in 2006.
Salman was warned by his police bodyguard Ravindra Patil not to drive at a speed of 90-100 km/hr as there was a turning ahead and that they would meet with an accident if he did not pay heed to his advice, the Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate had noted last week in his order. And now, after taking statements from various witnesses as well as from the police guard assigned to the superstar on that eventful night, the magistrate gave his verdict saying that Salman has not only offended the law, but even his social duty.
Salman’s lawyer Dipesh Mehta maintained that the actor would challenge the order. They are also likely to file an appeal against the magistrate’s order in the Bombay High Court next week. If convicted, Salman Khan will attract a punishment of up to 10 years.
The Dabangg hero will now have to appear on March 11 as the case will now be tried in a Sessions Court.