As we are halfway through 2014, lets rewind on some of the biggest stories from South Indian cinema which the rocked internet this year
Lets metaphorically compare year 2014 to a movie. It seemed like the movie had just begun and we are already out in the interval discussing excitedly about the roller coaster first half of the film. Film so far has been an exciting one filled with emotions,dramas, scandals, fallen heroes and rising underdogs. Without any further delay we bring you 15 biggest stories of Southern cinema which have managed to grab our attention in the first six months of year 2014.
1. Telugu film industry suffered a huge loss at the start of the year with demise of veteran actor Akkineni Nageshwara Rao aka ANR. The late actor had served the industry for 75 long years influencing generations of actors during his life span. All the industry stalwarts including Kollywood star Kamal Haasan turned teary eyed as legend had departed the world after fighting prolonged illness.
2. Mollywood heroine Manju Warrier’s fall out with her hubby actor Dileep came out of the blue during the initial months of 2014. The couple ended their marriage on mutual consent making headlines in news circles. Also the false rumours of Dileep getting married to co-star Kavya was circulated.
3. Power star Pawan Kalyan launched a political group Jana Sena Party in March which led to mass hysteria amongst his fans. The star also gave an emotional speech and talked his heart out about the state of governance in India. He cleared that he didn’t have any political aspirations, but wished to raise questions on corrupt government.
4. Narendra Modi’s low profile meeting with superstar Rajinikanth led to media frenzy with speculations of Rajini entering politics doing rounds in internet. However the star cleared that the informal meeting was just two friends catching up on a cup of tea.
5. Hottie Shruti Haasan was trending in internet as her leaked raunchy pictures from sets of Yevadu went viral. The diva was visibly angry and lodged police complaint against the miscreants who took those pictures without her consent.
6. Kochadaiiyaan fever gripped the nation as Rajinikanth’s magnum opus raked more than Rs 200 crore at the box office. The film which employed photo realistic motion capture technology for first time in India was released in six Indian languages. Though the film was criticised for inconsistent graphics, Rajinkanth’s charisma forged the film ahead to success.
7. Pawan Kalyan’s spirited, incessant campaigning led to euphoric victory of TDP and BJP in Andhra Pradesh. His devotion to PM Narendra Modi is considered to be a major factor in flawless performance of BJP in Andhra.
8. Late ANR’s family film Manam took the box office by its scruff minting more than Rs 75 crore at the cinemas. The film showcasing three generations of Akkineni’s starring together was loved by the audience and critics alike. The late ANR’s last film even managed to beat Rajinikanth’s Kochadaiiyaan in US box office.
9. Sexy siren Sunny Leone took the silk route to South this year. The voluptuous Baby Doll signed two South Indian films in last six months – Vadacurry and Current Teega. After her raunchy number in Vadacurry, the seductress is set to play a school teacher in her Telugu debut Current Teega.
10. Southern starlet Amala Paul married her boyfriend director AL Vijay on June 12. The marriage was always surrounded by controversies which ensured that media widely covered the starry wedding. The reception was attended by big names of K-town like Vijay, Vikram, Trisha and many more.
11. Ajith and Gautham Menon joined hands for an untitled flick which led to mass jubilation amongst the fans. The film has been constantly tracked by paparazzi. Ajith will be seen romancing two big heroines of South, Trisha and Anushka Shetty and is rumoured to be playing a 20-year old in the film
12. Vijay’s Kaththi motion poster was released on his birthday on June 22nd. The film starring Vijay and Samantha is directed by ace director AR Murugadoss. The motion poster was widely appreciated by everyone as we eagerly wait for Kaththi to hit screens this Diwali
13. Mohanlal’s Peruchazhi became the first Malayalam film to have shot for a record 30-day schedule in United States. The film is widely popular amongst the movie goers and its teaser released on Mohanlal’s birthday was well received.
14. Tollywood star Allu Arjun became a father in April as his wife gave birth to baby boy. Also Telugu actor Lakshmi Manchu welcomed a baby girl into the world through surrogacy.
15. Rajinikanth is ready for his second release of the year 2014 with KS Ravikumar’s Lingaa. The film to be released on Thalaiva’s birthday, stars Sonakshi Sinha and Anushka Shetty as Rajini’s heroines. The film is getting bigger and bigger with every passing day with British actor’s being roped in to shoot pre- independence era sequences. And oh! we almost forgot that Rajini sir will be playing a dual role in Lingaa.