BollywoodLife editor Tushar Joshi lists down his personal memories of interacting with Deepika and reveals why she deserves the number 1 position in B-town
Deepika Padukone turns 29 today. For someone who started off with a bang, Deepika didn't fizzle out or become a one hit wonder like many others who made smashing debuts opposite superstars but vanished into oblivion along the way. There are many factors and ample reasons why Deepika proved to her critics that she isn't a one-hit-wonder. Be it her constant need to learn new things or challenge herself or learning from her co-stars that real stardom lies in humility, Deepika is a fine example of someone who is extremely hardworking and dedicated to her craft.
- I remember interacting with Deepika during her Om Shanti Om days when she was in the middle of a whirlwind of promotions, interviews, TV show appearances , the whole circus! Despite being so caught up, she always managed to reply to every SMS with an apology if there was a delay in getting back. If you met her once, there is a good chance she might spot you in a crowd and throw a nod or a wink towards you!
- Then there was this rare occasion during the release of Karthik Calling Karthik where I spotted Deepika with her dad and mom in the VIP queue to seek blessings of Lord Tirupati. It was rare because I didn't expect her to quietly slink into the temple in the early morning hours, take darshan and leave without attracting crowds. There was no entourage, no burly bodyguards protecting her, no publicist or manager to be seen. Those who know Deepika, talk about her strong spiritual connection. Whether it is Lord Balaji or Siddhivinayak, she has always turned to seek divine intervention in both professional and personal capacity.
- Despite going through a much publicised break up with Ranbir , Deepika let her silence speak louder than words. There were numerous requests for interviews or a quote on Ranbir following their split. However, Dippy was clear that she wouldn't talk about it. In fact she had to constantly promote her films, give interviews, put on a facade and smile, while deep down her friends revealed how much she was hurting. In the middle of this darkness, the only light that kept her going was the unconditional support of her family, especially her mom who she's extremely close to!
- On the professional front Deepika too faced some bad weather. She didn't have a string of hits until last year. In fact post OSO, she had a series of duds - Chandni Chowk To China, Karthik Calling Karthik, Lafangey Parindey, Break Ke Baad, Khelein Hum Jee Jaan Sey to name a few. But despite the box-office results of these films, Deepika showed her fans that she didn't want to be typecast. In fact during my recent interaction with Ranveer he told he how much he loved her in Lafangey Parindey despite the film not working out. Of course 2012's Cocktail changed everything for her. Her character Veronica seemed like a role she could identify with. Those who worked on the film revealed that she went through some intense personal moments while shooting the breakdown scene in the club!
- Today Deepika is definitely in a happy space. Last year was good to her with Happy New Year striking gold at the box-office and Finding Fanny winning critics over. On the personal front too she's basking in the glow of her relationship with Ranveer Singh. Perhaps taking a cue from her past mistakes, she's decided to let her photos and body language do all the talking about this love story. 2015 will be yet another big year for her with projects like Piku, Tamasha and Bajirao Mastani.
Here's wishing Deepika lots of love, happiness and something every actress strives really hard to achieve - a sense of security!
Stay tuned to BollywoodLife for the latest scoops and updates from Bollywood, Hollywood, South, TV and Web-Series.
Click to join us on Facebook, Twitter, Youtube and Instagram. Also follow us on Facebook Messenger for latest updates.